Consider Manufacturer's warranty. Cost. Store.
1. Purchased $999 Magnavox HDTV from Sears. 90 day Mfg warranty. Yes, purchased extended warranty. Who wants to worry after 90 days? I considered total price before making the purchase.
2. Walmart extended warranties are great buys. Tough to pass up. Purchased on digital cameras.
3. Steam Vacs and Vacuum cleaners. These are trouble prone items. Best Buy warranties have saved us a lot of money on these items.
4. Purchased on Sears $1200 washing machine. Cost $250. Internet reviews on this item frightened me. Five years are almost up. No problems.
5. Tillers. I purchased an extended warranty from Sears. Stupid decision. How often do you use a tiller?
6. Lawnmowers. Too many exclusions. Cancelled my Home Depot extended warranty after reading contract terms.