I'VE SEEN A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH VM BASED .JPG & DATA FILES

by SNUSA - 5/9/10 8:51 PM

In Reply to: "Silent Corruption?" by Flatworm

Grey lines at bottom, looking like unfinished export for jpg file....
I see them all the time - working in, and saving data outside a VM on a host drive!

Problem encountered when running XP in a VM under Vista. (I thought it was at first a Vista or program (software) issue. - NOT SO.)

The problem also occurs on Windows 7 running XP mode too. (Even with high powered hardware using hardware assisted virtualization.) I can't run our legacy POS or accounting software in a Microsoft based VM either. Occasionally data corrupts without any notice / notification.

Totally separate VM's on totally separate hardware on different versions of Windows hosts. IMHO, I think there's a deeper related windows issue here with something in common with your experiences....

Interestingly enough, if the data corrupts. (no indication except for looking at an exported picture) All I have to do is export it once or twice to the same place. Usually the second save results in a good copy.

It's worthwhile noting that in my scenario - Although I'm running software in a VM... I'm storing the data outside the VM, on the host's drive.

This whole thing leads me to believe that under certain circumstances, windows "looses track" of what it's doing with data, and continues onward without acknowledging a write error has occurred.

An analogy here: Almost like when you sneeze or yawn hard, during which time you can't hear well and thus you aren't sure if you'v missed something or not..... Actually, Windows behaves more like it passed out, comes too, and doesn't want to admit anything happened......

IMHO - I THINK THERE'S A REAL SERIOUS ISSUE HERE WITH REGARDS TO SOMETHING GOING ON IN WINDOWS. ** PROCESS / TIMING UNRESOLVED (UNKNOWN?) RELATED ISSUE **