New camera

by Terfyn - 4/22/13 11:59 PM

In Reply to: Recent suggestions. Link only. by R. Proffitt Moderator

Just to add to the thread. Most of the mid range camcorders from the trinity (Canon, Panasonic and Sony) will do what you want. IMO the SD card is the way to go - simply because I am now used to it. I also have a tape based DV camera which is fine but I needed to add a FireWire card+ software to download to my PC. With SD I just take the card out of the camera and put it in the card reader on my PC. I use the supplied camera software to download simply because it sorts out the files for me.

One of the bigger problems with current camcorders is the mic as it is virtually useless in windy conditions. I have not yet seen a "deadcat" that works on the camera so I use a plug in mic with my own homemade "deadcat" This works perfectly, I have recorded a steam train going at full speed by hanging the camera out of a carriage window in full flow of the passing wind!

For editing and downloading to YouTube etc. I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X6. Works OK. If you do go for a video editor, make sure your computer is up to it. Most editor suppliers come up with a minimum requirement list for their product. Your PC will need to be as good or better than the requirements on the list. To be fair Windows Moviemaker may be adequate for what you want.