SSDs Aren't Just for the OS Anymore

by High Desert Charlie - 3/3/13 4:33 PM

In Reply to: SSDs aren't for everybody by Zekeuyasha

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that SSDs should only be used to load an Operating System. The idea that SSDs aren't appropriate for some people because of an arbitrary 32GB limitation on SSD size is ludicrous. While some new laptops are coming out with dual drives (an SSD for the OS and a platter SATA for other data), one need only to spend a little time to set up their machine to store the data in the appropriate area. The real gains realized by an SSD is the speed with which it retrieves data.

Loading all of your software programs on a standard platter drive eliminates the purpose of fast access. I realize that some of the new systems are limited by the tiny SSDs they've provided (i.e. 32GB), but you can still put quite a bit of software on 32GB. Basically, it will hold Windows 7 with all of the updates, Microsoft Office Enterprise, AntiVirus software, Adobe Reader & Flash, Java, and still have room to spare. The key here is to maximize the amount of RAM you're using in your system to minimize the page file size required on the SSD, and to make sure that all of your User data is saved to the standard SATA hard drive (as suggested by GEO2003) and everything is backed up on an external drive.

Personally, I wouldn't use a system that was restricted to 32GB. I believe they're using an MSATA card for this purpose that can be upgraded to a higher capacity. If you're using it in conjunction with a second, larger drive, consider an SSD for the second drive.

It's not my intention to be overly critical here ZEDEUYASHA, but only to provide some clarity to members who are just entering this new technology of SSDs.