Wide and diverse selection

I've used and serviced more units with hard drive failures than with any other part failure. A huge cross section of manufacturers have built drives and more than few are not worth the money. Hitachi, Toshiba and Seagate make some tough and rugged drives but the trick is in the enclosure and not the drive itself. From Seagates first entry into the hard drive market with a 40 MB unit, exceeding the Intel 80286 memory addressablity. Larger drives in capacity but smaller in size fueled the expanding laptop market. Maxtor, Western Digital and Quantum joined IBM and Seagate in the push to become the most prolific. Failures, sure, more than a few from rough handling that no user ever professes to but nontheless it's broke. A common overheating problem in Quantum drives pushed them to a back shelf while Maxtor and Toshiba jumped in to grab some market share. The cheapest is not the best but neither is the most expensive better than the average. If I can, I prefer to have as few heads per unit but many mfgrs don't often put the specs where you can see that parameter outside the box, only on the drive itself. I have yet to suffer any failure of four different Seagates, two Maxtors, a Quantum and a Hitachi. Ranging in sizes from 20 GB to 160 GB, all still viable with OS and file structures intact, just ran out of room. The most often replaced drive among the early days was the IBM but today it's been the Maxtor. Percentages are small, under 6 percent compared to memory failures at over ten percent.