SimpleTech SimpleDrive External HD problems

by tech_fantatic - 9/27/06 8:43 AM

I purchased the SimpleTech 160Gb USB 2.0 External Hard Drive from Circuit City a few weeks ago. I installed it yesterday after setting up my new computer. I am having some problems, I'm not sure if it is me or the product.

1). The instructions say that Windows XP will install and recognize the drivers automatically. When I plug it in the PC and turn it on, Windows says the drivers were installed. I checked, they were installed and say they are working properly. However, when I try to open the hard drive in My Computer, it does not show up. It says in the instructions that is where it would be. It doesn't sound right to me and I'm not sure what to do. So, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, but it didn't change anything.

One other thing, I tried to use it on my old computer to transfer some files and I could not find it on that system either. So, it doesn't appear that it is the computer that is the problem.

2). After I had the drive hooked up, I installed the software, StorageSync. It installed just fine, but, when I go to do a back up, it says that I have the wrong media drive. Again, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it didn't work. I found one area that is called Drives and you can choose what drive you want to be the Source Drive or Target Media Drive. So, I moved the C drive over to the Target drive and left D in the source. I then went in and tried to back up again. This time, all that was listed for a backup was D. So, I tried it again and it backed up just fine. However, I went in to C and was able to find the backup, so it appears that it just created the backup on my C drive rather than putting it on the external hard drive.

Since I can't find the hard drive on my computer, there is no way for me to see if the files are on there at all.

Does anyone have anything I can try for this? I have tried just about everything I can think of, and since I'm not real good at these things, it is a pretty basic level.

Thanks for any help