PSU Problem, Bestec ATX-250-12Z Blinking LED Light

by jeffq314 - 3/23/11 3:04 PM

In Reply to: PSU problem, Bestec Atx-250-12z by riceburner7720

I have a Compaq Presario desktop with a Bestec ATX-250-12Z Power Supply Unit installed. I received it from a nice woman who believed her computer was dead. I brought the computer home and noticed right away that the LED light on the PSU was blinking. So, I cleaned out the computer (lots of cat hair and smokers dust), removed a few redundant cards (another video card and audio card), and put the filthy thing back together. That darned LED was still blinking... I unplugged the 20 pin connector from the motherboard and waited a few seconds, the LED light turned on solid. When I plugged the connector back into the motherboard, the computer made a miraculous recovery and started up. I cleaned up the hard drive and played a few games. However, when 120Vac power was removed (power strip), I suffered the same blinking LED light issue. Unplugging the 20 pin connector again solved the problem (momentarily). I can't see the wife and kids doing this each time they turn on the power strip... So...

Bottom Line: Replace the power supply with a new one. A cheap one will cost around $30 to $40 dollars and work just as well or better. Do your research and read customer reviews; most of us geeks just know better...