check a modem's operation w/out connecting to a phone line?
It's expensive. Here's the first tester I found -> http://compare.ebay.com/like/400218709572?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
That's some used unit but at this price is a steal.
Let me share the methods I use.
1. At 3 days I would have used System Restore to 4 days ago.
2. After all those updates I couldn't use idea 1 and would restore the machine to its factory install.
3. If ideas 1 and 2 fail I try one of those USB Analog Modems.
4. If ideas 1 2, and 3 fail I try it on another phone line in another home.
5. If ideas 1,2,3, and 4 fail I try another dial up provider.
Dial up support is notoriously bad.