Autoplay still a problem

by Jingo13 - 3/27/13 8:26 AM

In Reply to: And then we have the other issues. by R. Proffitt Moderator

Bob,

First, I appreciate your speedy response, and I will try to respond to your suggestions in order.

The Autofix.exe is the same one I used to fix the autoplay problem in the first place, but I had neglected to try the wixard's monitoring feature. When I tried that I got the message "Either the device is malfuntioning or the wizard cannot determine the problem." I doubt its the device, as I said everything plays fine if I start the appropriate program manually. The Autofix log is as follows:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2013-03-27 10:28:41]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Event Viewer only gave me WMI Performance Adapter terminated, but that occurred before I retried autoplay.

I followed the instructions for the AIN, after which I had to rerun Autofix.exe, but ended up with the same problem still.

As for your other comments, I understand where you're coming from, but our shop is a bit different. We don't generally charge by the hour, we have flat fees for virus/spyware removal, system restore, data recovery, etc. As this is the only remaining problem, the customer would not be charged any more even if it took me all week. We also try very hard to avoid reinstallations if at all possible. I know that in a lot of cases it is much quicker, but the machine never quite gets back to where it had been, which is also typical of any infection so I guess its more a matter of trying to save programs.

I figured when I started this that I would end up doing a Windows Repair (I have the original Dell XP disc), I just wonered if there might be a known fix in case I come across it again. That, by the way, is one of the resaons we have flat rates. It may take hours to figure out this particular problem, but it seems unfair to bill this customer all that time if the next person with the same issue only takes minutes to fix just because now I know how.

Lastly, I'm confused by your final question. Yes, the original issue was internet connectivity problems caused by spyware/malware, which I feel I was able to clean out completely, but what is different is the issue I posted originally. I have cleaned up more infections than I can remember in 4 years and I have never come across this particular problem. I know the infections keep changing, so if this is something new I will need to know how to deal with it. If the only solution is a Windows repair, than so be it.

As for why it must be fixed, well, that's a loaded question. First, its my job; second, it'll bug me to death if I don't; & third, this is a very good cutomer, we've fixed all of his multiple computers several times and he has expressly mentioned Autoplay problems in the past. Now, personally, I hate autoplay, I never use it on any of my personal machines, but many basic users have no idea how to access their media if it doesn't pop up in their faces.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but your questions got me thinking. And I appologize if I sound annoyed or frustrated, I'm not. I am appreciative of your time and effort, and although I was pounding my head through the wall last night, it is very helpful just to know that there may not be an "easy" fix and that a Windows repair is my most prudent next step (dispite 120 + updates to redo after SP3!)

Thanks again,
I'll let you know if the repair fixes it.

- Amy