Piwik Multiple Vulnerabilities
Release Date : 2012-06-04
Criticality level : Moderately critical
Impact : Exposure of system information
Exposure of sensitive information
Cross Site Scripting
Where : From remote
Solution Status : Vendor Patch
Software: Piwik 1.x
Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Piwik, which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct cross-site scripting and cross-site request forgery attacks, disclose potentially sensitive information, and cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
1) Certain unspecified input is not properly sanitised before being returned to the user. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected site.
2) Certain input is not properly verified before being used to include files. This can be exploited to include arbitrary files from local resources.
3) An error when handling a certain cookie can be exploited to cause a DoS.
4) Certain unspecified input is not properly sanitised before being returned to the user. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected site.
5) The application allows users to perform certain actions via HTTP requests without performing proper validity checks to verify the requests. This can be exploited to perform an unspecified action when a logged-in user visits a specially crafted web page.
The vulnerabilities are reported in versions prior to 1.8.
Update to version 1.8.
Provided and/or discovered by:
The vendor credits:
1 - 3) Stefan Esser, SektionEins.
4) Juho Nurminen, Mateusz Goik, and Emanuel Bronshtein.
5) James Kettle.