Upgrading desktop for D3...

by OckhamsFolly - 4/22/12 12:38 PM

So I've made do with my desktop for the last 6 years- it got repurposed into a media center PC a couple years back, and works fine for that. However, it's time to upgrade for Diablo 3. Minimum specs call for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and a GeForce 7800 GT. I want to know if I'm completely out of line with what I'm looking at with my motherboard, or if there's an obvious compatibility issue I can't find online. Please bear in mind budget is an issue, so I'm shooting towards the low end here/

My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe; currently, I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ for the processor and a Geforce 7600 GT. The motherboard requires a 939 socket chip, which seem to be much more expensive than the AM2 sockets (just my luck). I'm thinking of upgrading to the minimum 64 X2 4400+, and a Geforce 7900 GT (it seems to be cheaper than the 7800 GT). I still need to look at my power supply to determine if I'll need a new one with the bigger graphics card, but as far as I can tell this should be sufficient for low-end play. It's been a long time though since I've spent any time inside a PC, though, so I wanted to double check with people who know more than me. Any feedback or tips would be appreciated, thanks!