Its way easier than most of you are making this. I have read several places this exact same fix which granted for most it works its a much longer process than needed. I have just went through my settings and im sure each printer is a little different. To the point of this though. Right click on your printer icon in the "Printer and Devices" or equivalent depending on the OS you use. Then you find the "Device Settings Tab" and scroll down to "installable options" and scroll a little further and disable the "printer status notification". Hit apply then test print a page to see if this worked. It worked for me also I noticed there was a delay in "get" page to print so i been hitting cancel which has stopped it until I came across this fix.
Hope this helps