Transferring data PC to Mac
by Steven Hemstreet - 6/18/11 7:42 AM
Congratulations and good luck, if you are buying your computer at the Apple Store they will transfer your data for you. If you purchase your Mac over the Internet you can use a network cable to connect the two computers with this method:
1. Connect the Mac and PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
2. Turn both computer on in any order.
3. In the Finder on the Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu at the top of the screen.
4. Type the PC's network address in the Server Address box using either of these formats:
<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> * smb://DNSname/ShareName or my favorite
<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> **smb://IPaddress/ShareName
5. Click Connect
6. Follow the directions on the screen and enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password and the volume or folder you wish to access.
7. Your PC volume should appear on the Mac Desktop.
8. Open the volume, drag and drop the files directly from the volume to your Mac.
9. When you are finished you can drag the PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.
For other methods you can read the full article from Apple at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518