How to disable if you're still curious...

c|net rep is lying or doesn't understand how TTEngine is being loaded. c|net very sneakily put a LaunchAgent for this program instead of having it added to the list of software that is loaded per account from System Preferences.

It's located in your local Library folder under LaunchAgents. I'm not sure if you can remove it outright, as I've not tested it but if you look at the plist file you'll see:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<true/>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.cnet.ttengine</string>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Library/TechTracker/TTEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEngine</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

In particular, I think changing the keys RunAtLoad and KeepAlive to <false/> will do it.

Opening in Property List Editor to uncheck these won't allow you to make these changes unless you first give yourself write privileges. This takes a few steps from the folder view and one line doing it from Terminal. Since I don't know your experience level, here's how from the folder level:
* Go to "Get Info" (command+I or right click or option click on the file)
* Unlock the lock in the lower right hand corner (this will ask for your password).
* Click the plus sign in the lower left hand corner (this will bring up a list of users).
* Select yourself and then in the column next to your name change "Read only" to "Read & Write"
* Click off your name and it'll ask for you to enter your password again.
* Re-lock the lock in the lower right hand corner.

Now, you can double-click the file to open it up in Property List Editor and uncheck the two options. If you do not have Property List Editor, you can just have it open the file in TextEdit and change the two <true/> lines to <false/> and then save.

That should work. Good luck!