Why it may not display at full HD.

I know that this is a very old post, but I just had to throw my 2 cents in. You may see a game or two that you have that says that it is full 1080p, but if it will not display as 1080p then it is not the PS3, but 1 of two possibilities, or both. The majority of PS3 games support HDCP (High-Bandwith Digital Content Protection), so having an HDMI cable that supports HDCP (aka Hi-speed) is ideal. The second possible reason would be that some game creators fail to get the proper setting on the game for automatic best picture display. Dead Island: Riptide for example says that it displays anywhere from 480i to 1080p, but the PS3 will only display at 720p, and if you disable all other resolutions and select only 1080p then the game will not show up at all (black screen). This is at fault of the manufacturer of the game, not your PS3 system. If you see 1080p on the back of your game case, but it will not automatically play at 1080p then the creator of the game made a big boo boo. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Great game, older, but displays at full 1080p with no problem, and will display at a lower resolution if your TV doesn't support it. This game was done right by the creator (Konami).