Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U Custom Display Settings

by RocShemp - 8/9/13 9:48 PM

In Reply to: Sharp LC-60LE847U picture settings by katzmaier CNET staff

Before I list out my settings, I think some explanation is in order as to how I came to these particular settings.

It's pretty well known that the Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U have a bizarre issue that while watching some 60Hz content, it seems that motion interpolation is still active. It's subtle but it's there even if you made sure to deactivate both Motion Enhancement and Film Mode (the latter being the actual culprit as it engages the set's motion interpolation feature) on your setting of choice. The only AV Mode to completely disengage motion interpolation is Game.

By fiddling with the settings of my TV, I noticed that even when dealing with 24 Hz content, Game mode seems to move better than any other mode. By "move better" I mean to say that the set is only capable of passing the correct 1080p/24 film cadence in Game mode. Every other AV Mode (including Movie) exhibits the choppy stutter of 2:3 pull-down. Also, Game is the only AV Mode that doesn't add an unwanted A/V Sync Delay (that needs to be defeated with a Receiver or similar external device).

However, when fiddling with the Colors through the filters included on the new Spears & Munsil disk, I noticed that whatever Color Space that Game Mode uses is different from both the Standard and Expanded Color Space selections available in film mode. It's basically a third, unnamed Color Space.

A user over at AVSforum did three separate calibrations for his LC-70LE847U. One of them was for Game AV Mode which can be found [URL="http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397140/official-sharp-aquos-lc-60le847u-lc-70le847u-owners-thread/660#post_22065799"]here[/URL].

Using his settings as a base, I then tweaked my own LC-60LE847U, using Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition. In this manner I came to the following setting for my TV:

Model: LC-60LE847U

AV Mode: Game

OPC.......................Off

Backlight ................-12

Contrast ................+24

Brightness...............Zero

Color......................Zero

Tint.......................Zero

Sharpness...............Zero

Gamut ....................N/A

Motion Enhance........N/A

Quad Pixel...............Off

Active Contrast........Off

Gamma...................-2

Film Mode...............N/A

Digital NR ................Off

OPC Range..............-16 to +16

Color Temp..............Low

CMS

HUE

R.....-3

Y.....+12

G.....-30

C.....+3

B.....-30

M.....-5

SATURATION

R.....-10

Y.....Zero

G.....-30

C.....-18

B.....+30

M.....-27

VALUE

R.....-20

Y.....Zero

G.....+30

C.....+30

B.....-10

M.....+1

COLOR TEMP

R Gain (LO) +14

G Gain (LO) +9

B Gain (LO) -9

R Gain (HI) -20

G Gain (HI) -20

B Gain (HI) -30

For 3D content, I use those exact settings except for the Backlight. That value I increased to -2. All the other values I replicated exactly for the Game (3D) AV Mode.