Just got a KLV-60EX640...

by defuentes - 4/15/13 11:47 AM

In Reply to: Sony KDL-46EX640 picture settings by tpendlebury CNET staff

Which I believe is the exact same model only for other countries, its 60' so it's no listed in the review.
I used these setting to start my calibration and they are pretty close to what I got from my DVE HD Basics Blu-ray, since I use the same HDMI input for all sources because all my devices are connected to an Amplifier I had to compromise a little after my initial results with Blu-ray; I ended up:

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 95
Brightness: 52
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 2
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

The rest I left the same as you, you were spot on with all the color settings and the white balance, I actually got a 52 setting for Color from the DVE HD Basics Blu-ray but the faces were too red, I have to watch more content I may end up in 50 like you. I got a 51 for Brightness from my DVE but shadow detail was too low so I
My main concern now is the backlight setting, I tried it at 9 but its way too bright and the spotlighting in the corners gets worse every point you go up, I even tried setting it at 2 but you lose too much shadow detail. I would very much like you opinion on these matter/setting please.
The only other issue I'm haven is that I'm experiencing some judder when playing digital archives (mkv, mp4, avi) from my PC with XBMC installed on it but I believe it's a matter of configuration, I have to do some research.
All in all I'm happy with the TV; it's a great upgrade from my 6 year old LG LCD 52', the blacks are better and the color accuracy too, I would have liked a plasma to get perfect picture but I would have had to spend a lot more to get that, I got an amazing deal on this set.
Thank you for the review and the settings Mr. Pendlebury.