Just to be clear...

by boya84 - 2/5/13 6:29 AM

In Reply to: Thanks a Million boya84 by Harishgeorge

The automobile analogy was just that - about buying automobiles. Nothing about maintenance. In my life I've had Chevys and Caddies. Maintenance aside, I'd take Caddies any day - when I could afford it. Not to "show off", but due to the comfort, quality and available features.

Remember, appropriate expectations... Using today's physics, small lens diameter and imaging chip = poor low light behavior. As the camcorders/cameras increase in price, the lenses and imaging chips get larger. You listed "low light recording" as important. The less expensive cams just cannot capture non-grainy low light video.

Be sure to get a mic jack - and *some* form of audio control. Even if it is the simple "normal" and "loud audio attenuator" option switch. In this case it is better to have and not need it than need and not have it. The Canon HF R series has the "attenuator"; the HF M series a little more granular. Download a manual form the manufacturer's site and read through it...

I have used a JVC consumer-grade camcorder once a few years ago. It was OK. The colors did not seem as robust as a Sony, Canon or Panasonic in the same price range. I do not know if that continues to be the case. I have no experience with Samsung camcorders.

A bit about editing... While it is true that laptops are more powerful than desktops of a few years ago - and they *can* handle light editing, be careful when shopping. In my opinion, something with 4-8 gig RAM, a current CPU and use of an external drive for the video project files is strongly suggested. When a computer boots up, it is running on the internal start up drive. When the video editor is launched, it is in RAM and in virtual RAM on the start-up drive. When the video files are brought in for editing, you do not want the internal system drive available space using as virtual memory fighting with read/write activity retrieving the video project files. On top of this, laptop drives are designed to be power savers and traditionally run slower (5400 rpm) than desktop type drives (7600 rpm) or "media drives" (10,000 rpm). I am not saying a media drive is needed - they are more expensive. But don't fall into the portability trap - use an external, non-laptop drive for the project file storage.

Note and a question: I use digital tape. When I am done with a project, it is usually exported to the tape for archiving. The video files are discarded from the computer because I have the original captured video on other digital tape. Then three more versions of the project are made: a DVD disc image, a high quality computer-readable one for uploading to video sharing sites and a compressed MP4 for use on a personal media player. These all take space. What are your plans for back-up and archive of the original or rendered versions of the video you capture?

High quality, low compression video files are large and I do not see the cost benefit of storing in a service cloud yet. Local Network Attached Storage (NAS) looks appropriate but they are also expensive...