DOS to Windows 8

I remember people bemoaning the loss of DOS to Windows - I actually jumped in at windows 95 and was a die hard DOS fan until the world started to change and I suddenly realised one day that I hadn't used any dos windows for months, and didn't miss it - then to Windows 98 then to Windows 7 - now I am on Windows 8 which is hardly any different to Windows 7 except that it has an interface of the future bolted on as a front end. I have always regretted every change for the first month or so and then afterwards wondered how I could ever go back- There is only one sensible direction to go with technology and that isn't backwards. You have bought a system that has been built for Wiindows 8 the likelihood is that by reversing you will see some loss of performance - Window 8 even used almost wholly in "7 mode" is a lot faster than its predecessor. Once I did a couple of hours research to find the sort of programmes being discussed here my desktop looked as it did before BUT performed better. The add in tool also gave me a greater ability to customise the win 7 style desktop. The only time I see Metro is when I make the choice to go into it - though I have to say still being able to access the charms bar when I want to is great.
The two things holding me back from immersing in the metro experience is the lack of very good free apps for it and the lack of touch screens (I use dual monitors and can actually have metro on one screen and the old desktop on the other if I want to. I know that I shall be tempted into touch screens eventually so why not run with the system that is ready for it when I do - the early upgrade was a steal and I couldn't see the point of waiting until I "needed" it if it could do all I wanted. I was still unsure at first and even kept a full iso image of my old win 7 installation thinking I would want to go back - did I - nah underneath the quirky new top interface is a solid system.
I think I can almost guarantee that downgrading will be much harder work than a little bit of Win 8 touching up. That is assuming that you have the skills to make sure you have all the right win 7 drivers and so on, can afford a full copy of Windows 7 and don't mind chucking away what is a perfectly good operating system that you probably wont be able to re-install (as it is OEM)
True I have only ever used pro versions of windows software as the home editions usually have important stuff left out and are less flexible to mess with so I cant say what windows 8 starter edition is like.