Thank you. Perhaps some clarification

by mvwoolner - 2/1/13 4:10 PM

In Reply to: I use a few apps for that. by R. Proffitt Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. What I want may be so simple that it already exists in xcopy; I have read the Microsoft online information about xcopy, but not sure if it does everything I want it to do.

I use a directory called "data" to store all the files I create - jpeg, Word .doc, Excel, PowerPoint, genealogy files, etc., each in it's own directory below "data"

What I would like to do is type in one command line command to replicate all of the subdirectories and files under "data" to my 128GB flash drive, which also has a directory "data" My first copy of this took over 2 hours, and a subsequent copy/past took just as long. I would like to:

copy only files that are new (do not exist on the target) or have been modified since the last copy; and create any new subdirectories and populate them.

Since I plan to do the synchronizing about once a week or so, I was hoping that the process would only take a few minutes if it only involved copying new and changed files, instead of the whole mess.

I was studying the command line switches for xcopy but could not make out if there was a parameter to copy only changed files and new files.

Any help will be appreciated.

And thank you again for taking the time to answer.

Marshall