Reinstalling not same as restoring to factory settings

by wpgwpg - 1/25/13 8:06 AM

In Reply to: Re: by dorrisgurl

Once you upgraded to XP from whatever you had before, you lost the ability to restore to factory settings. And by reinstalling XP over what you had, you've gotten into a mess. This could've been prevented had you been making full system backups so you could've restored from one of the backups, but as it is, it's not obvious what you could do. Since your computer originally came with something "older than XP", it must be over 12 years old. That's an extremely long lifetime for a computer, so if I were in your position, I'd just buy a new computer.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.