Apache CouchDB Multiple Vulnerabilities
Release Date: 2013-01-15
Criticality level : Moderately critical
Impact : Cross Site Scripting
Exposure of sensitive information
Where : From remote
Solution Status : Vendor Patch
Software: Apache CouchDB 1.x
Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Apache CouchDB, which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct cross-site scripting attacks and disclose potentially sensitive information.
1) Input passed via the query parameters to browser-based test suite is not properly sanitised before being returned to the user. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected site.
2) Certain unspecified request is not properly verified before being used to access files. This can be exploited to disclose the contents of arbitrary files via directory traversal sequences.
Only Microsoft Windows versions of Apache CouchDB are affected.
3) Certain unspecified input when handling JSONP callbacks is not properly sanitised before being returned to the user. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected site.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability requires that JSONP is enabled.
The vulnerabilities are reported in versions prior to 1.0.4, 1.1.2, and 1.2.1.
Update to version 1.0.4, 1.1.2, or 1.2.1.
Provided and/or discovered by:
1) The vendor credits Frederik Braun
2) The vendor credits Sriram Melkote
3) Reported by the vendor.