by JHJMC - 12/30/12 4:56 PM

In Reply to: You might check with the FCC by birdmantd Moderator

The website has no help and they have said it is some kind of FCC ruling. So we may have to take our number to a landline, get a bare bones account and permanently forward it to a new cell number. Lot of changes to go through but can't think of any other solutions at this point. Thanks for your feedback.