similar query

by nickton_shaan - 12/28/12 10:26 AM

In Reply to: Budget for camera by hjfok

I'm good at photography and very familiar with point & shoot cameras. Some of my photographs with point & shoot cameras have been really good.
But now I want to take a step further, and this is where I am confused. My photography basically now will involve portraits and landscapes.
So what I am confused about is that my current budget is upto the price range of the cheapest entry level DSLR cameras (I can spend more, but I really do not want to take the risk as I will not earn anything on it). I have never used any DSLR cameras before and I will be totally new to it (I also cant take photography lessons since I'll have to travel too far for it). I can learn quicky by myself, but is it worth taking the risky giant leap from Auto Point & Shoot to DSLR? Or should jump in for a Manual Control point & shoot?

So in short:
1) I am pretty good at capturing really amazing pictures with point & shoot cameras.
2) Now I want to climb up the ladder and take a step further into clicking better pictures of landscapes & portraits. (Its a hobby, not a profession. But I like my hobby also to be perfect).
3) I have never used a DSLR before.
4) My budget is upto the price range of the cheapest entry level DSLR cameras (I can spend more, but I really do not want to take the risk)

Should I purchase:
1) Entry level DSLR's like Canon Rebel T3/EOS 1100D or Nikon D3100 both with only a 18-55mm starter kit. (Can not invest in further zoom lenses for landscape photography because my budget will not fit)
-or-
2) A small photo-studio owner told me that since i have never used a DSLR before, he told me to go in for a Semi-SLR for portrait & landscape photography with long zoom cameras with Manual controls . (What are the benefits and negatives of these? Can you recommend me any model numbers for these which I can use for Landscape & portrait photography also with good quality and focus pictures?)

What should I do? Please read it again if you'r confused like me too! happy