Computer for 75 year old mother.

I think that some kind of tablet, either an i Pad or an Android might be better than Windows. The Windows O/S is too complicated for computer illiterate users. I myself am going to get a Nexus 10 Tablet. That has Android version 4.2 Jelly Bean on it, and the O/S on that product is the full unmodified Android, so you will be able to get updates on the Google Play store on both the O/S and the apps. I had a self installed version of Android 4.0.3 that Installed on an ASUS Netbook that shipped to me with W7 on it. I enjoyed the cobbled up version of Android a lot more than the W7 version shipped. I think that the simpler O/S s on the Tablets keep computer problems to a minimum. Consider the Nexus 10 if you want to go with Android since all of the updating should happen automatically. I think that an i Pad would probably do that too, but I personally found that the Google Play Store was very user friendly. You can do a lot of things on a Tablet without knowing too much about how it operates, since the app providers through Apple and Google will keep malware from your device. Also make sure to use a Firewall and Anti Virus Application. A lot of good products to put on these devices are free from the stores.