Panasonic TC-P55ST50

by nixstyx - 4/11/12 6:11 PM

In Reply to: Panasonic TC-P55ST50 by YardleyFFL

I am definitely no TV expert, but I can tell you that I don't know what the Amazon reviewer was talking about and that I love this TV. Right now I'm watching game one of the Phili v. Pitt series (in a dark room, and adjusted to CNET's recommended calibration settings) and the ice looks pretty damn good to me. I'm not completely sure what the reviewer was referring to. There is a "C.A.T.S. setting" (which CNET recommends disabling) on this TV that says it "adjusts brightness and gradation according to lighting conditions," but this can easily be turned off through basic picture settings. There is also an "ECO power save" option that limits screen brightness to reduce electricity use, but this can also be turned off. There is a discernible difference when either of these options are enabled in a dark-lit room, and yes, ice looks more gray than white when they are enabled. However, it only takes about 30 seconds to disable them. They might even be off by default, I don't remember. This is definitely the best looking TV I've seen, and blows prior years' comparable Panasonic models out of the wayer. But like I said, not a real expert.