Panasonic TC-P55ST50

by YardleyFFL - 4/7/12 9:14 AM

In Reply to: Panasonic TC-P55ST50 picture settings by katzmaier CNET staff

Hi David, I am interested in this television, but as I work in the hockey industry, it alarms me to read a review from amazon that reads like this...

"I got this after going through two Sony NX720s and a near top-of-the-line Samsung plasma. The NX720s had flashlighting issues, while the Samsung suffered from ABL, or automatic brightness limiting. Unfortunately, the ST50 suffers from ABL as well. Last year's models apparently got an update that allowed disabling it, but no such option exists on the ST50 yet.

Most viewers won't be affected by ABL, as it only really comes into effect when there's a lot of white or near-white color on the screen, at which point the screen dims noticeably, with whites looking more like grays. Some people have dubbed this the 'hockey effect', since it's going to constantly dim the screen while you're watching a hockey game. Myself, I like to hook up the computer and play movies or browse the web. The moment I put up a window with a lot of white, the screen goes dim."

So as I work in hockey, this doesn't sound like the television for me, but I want to be interested in it. I noticed in your calibration settings that you mentioned something called "Automatic Gain Control." Is this something that might be causing the "hockey effect" talked about above? Thanks for your time.