Activated or not Lojack invades privacy of all laptop owners

by bkimz - 2/17/12 5:42 PM

In Reply to: rpcnetp.exe and rpcnetp.dll by Carol~ Moderator

According to Absolute Software, the developers of Computrace, aka Lojack for laptops, the application file rpcnetp.exe will only be downloaded from Computrace AFTER the owner has actually activated Lojack for Laptops protection. It is not supposed to be placed on your laptop normally. The dates of online user questions about finding the application ' rpcnetp.exe ' on Toshiba laptops all seem to commence around the middle of 2011. If you purchased a Toshiba laptop after the middle of 2011 it may be that Toshiba is mistakenly installing these applications.
My Toshiba laptop was made in 2009 but it was not until recently that I began using a program called WinUtilities Process Security 3.0. Process Security did not previously alert me to the presence of both Lojack applications rpcnetp.exe and rpcnet.exe, but it did today, February 17, 2012, and it identified both as having "unknown" security risks. this is what prompted me to read up on Lojack's claims that its spyware was only installed on computers where Lojack had been activated for that machine.
Neither RPCNETP.exe nor rpcnet.exe are totally benign programs. if you read some of the 'case histories' which Absolute Software provides about recovered laptops you will notice that Absolute inadvertently discloses that they are able to use rpcnetp.exe and rpcnet.exe to scan anything and everything on your computer.
While Lojack claims that this is only done for computers reported stolen they also say, incorrectly, that these two files will only appear on your computer AFTER the owner purchases Lojack. I also noted in examining "last accessed" and "last write time" that each indicated a date only 5 days ago! So the question is, what is Absolute doing to my computer that would require its two supposedly inactive files to be written to?
This is shady business by somebody. And if most or all laptops are being equpped like this, it is plainly an open door for Homeland Security to go to Absolute Software, either with or without a warrant under the Patriot Act, and be able to look at all the information inside of anyone's computer that they want to.
This is a very serious threat to the privacy of anyone who owns a laptop pre-equipped with a Lojack setup.

The only likely way that these two applications ended up on my Toshiba was by way of an automatic download from Toshiba Station or one of Toshiba's bunch of junk 'extras'.