I agree with Bob...

by boya84 - 1/2/11 8:25 PM

In Reply to: Camcorders with wireless remote option by TOYSinSF

LANC is the preferred option - but *most* consumer camcorders that can capture video and stills do not have a LANC port.

And... I am (apparently) not understanding...

"I want to remotely shoot wild life photos and videos".
How do you know what is in the camcorder's field of vision?

"flash still pictures"
Really? Won't this spook wildlife being captured to video/stills?

As with any other "subject", "fairly low light conditions" means the camcorder has LARGE lenses and LARGE imaging chip array. What is your budget?

There are currently 15 available consumer camcorders from Canon:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders
Of these, the HF S21, S20, S200, M32, M31, M30, M300, HF21 and HV40 come with the "Wireless Controller" WL-D89 or D88 or D87 wireless, infrared remote control in the box.

How far away are you planning to be from the camcorder? This is important as the line-of-site infrared remote connectivity may not reach. As well, since they are IR remote controlled and the front of the camcorder is where the sensor is - if the remoter IR sensor cannot see the remote (because it is behind or positioned to the side of the camcorder, it won't work.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the above has a LANC (or similar wired remote functionality). But the Sony HDR-HC9 does...

An optional wide angle lens can be added to pretty much any camcorder that has a lens "Filter Diameter" spec - this means there are threads to screw-mount filters and lenses. All of the above camcorders have lens "Filter Diameter" - but you *should* verify this. I *think* the least distortion will come with a wide-angle lens in the .7x area. Below this and the fisheye distortion effect and vignetting kicks in.