V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling

by mannukaden - 4/16/10 11:09 PM

In Reply to: 2000 JGC stalls when warm outside by jdettlaff

Did you solve your problem? How? Need Help
My1999 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7L V8 1J4GW68N7XC689389- stalls and stops mostly in heavy traffic condition. stop and go at slow speeds. Some times it stops also on cruising at 80 or 90 kmph. It happens about 3 to 4 times a day at slow speeds or cruising. what I have noticed as engine stalls and Check Gages light is on. Initially all gages looks ok. Within 2 or three seconds fuel gage shows Empty and security KEY sign is on. If you leave it these for 5 or 10 minutes and keep ignition on, if fuel gauge moves (showing not empty) it will start and you can drive off. If traffic is heavy it may stall again after a kilometer or so. If you can drive at about 80Kmph it goes for about 30 to 40 minutes and stall again. Twice I gave it to two different agency workshops and got the wiring checked and cleaned. On both occasions it worked without any stalling for 5 days and started to stall again. In both occasions there was no error code displayed when checked with computer. When stalling occurs and fuel gauge shows empty; the computer shows NO Communication with PCM.
Stalling problem is not there in winter on Highways. I can drive 500 to 600 km in one go. But as soon as it enters heavy city traffic it stalls with loss of power and fuel gage shows Empty along with other gauges.
I Got crank position sensor replaced at the workshop but problem persists. Also tried swapping of the ASD and fuel pump relay. Checked all cleaned all wiring harness. Still problem is existing for almost 2 years now. If Batteries are removed overnight, it generally behaves ok (Not Always) for 3 or 4 days and problem reappears.