I went ahead and posted my jeep stall here too

by iownherbie09 - 1/21/09 12:18 AM

In Reply to: I replaced ECM and still have problems by iownherbie09

Hello Everyone!

I thought I was the only person who owned the Jeep version of Herbie the car! It is so frustrating to have to drive around on the verge of a heart attack because every 100 feet I am sure this will be the time my car stalls again.
I have a '97 grand cherokee that is 4x2 automatic 4 cylinders. I knew absolutaly nothing about cars before this problem, except that they need gas,oil, and water; and now I only know probably what I have researched on the web trying to solve this issue so please forgive my ignorance on the subject and the lenght of my post because I cannot describe this problem in any other way.

My jeep has been stalling ( and by stall I mean it shuts off and I have to put it in neutral to start it up again) for the past few months it started out extremely intermittent and only at stop signs or red lights then it progressed to more frequent ocurrences and then it started stalling and hwy speeds and it even stalled on the HWY going at 65mph +...well that scare did it for me and I finally took it to the mechanic. That very day I thought the car was finished because now it would even rattle indicating it was going to stall and then when it did shut off it did not want to stay running...

I was advised to replace the ECM/computer after he "jiggled" the connectors to the computer and it would cause the car to shut off and he said that indicated an ECM problem. There were really no codes before except for the coil so I went ahead and okayed the replacement.

So now my car has a remanufactured ECM that was a little less than $600 plus another $200 in labor. The ECM is supposed to be ordered from a jeep dealership. The first 2 days my car ran fine and I thought the problem was solved. Although the first day it did make a sort of rattling noise which scared me for a second.

Well after one day of being parked it started acting crazy again. It shut off when I was driving at street speeds and the gas gauge indicated it had 1/4 tank gas then shot down to empty with gas light flashing then went back to 1/4 gas tank.I filled the tank and it didn't do that crazy gauge thing again but I noticed that the gauge is not marking the correct amount of gas. I filled up again and it indicated I had 3/4+ tank of gas on the gauge yet it took about 9 gallons to fill the tank!! I may not know much about cars but that seems like that gas gauge is faulty now! I was wondering if this could be linked to the replaced ECM??? My mechanic believes that it may not be related because the computer does not have to do with that, but I mean why did start happening now?

Also, the intermittend stalling/shutting off isn't as frequent as before and it now does it mostly when it is the first warm up of the day, idling, and coasting to a stop. I have also noticed that sometimes it wants to stall and the check engine light will flash and it kind of revs a tiny bit but thank God does not stop...I was wondering if anyone thinks this means the replacement ECM is faulty or needs to be reflashed? or if it just means that the ECM was never the problem. I mean I would think it had to be the problem if the symptoms mostly went away right and it just wasn't fully programmed correctly.

Also, the mechanic connected to the scanner again and it showed no codes for the engine but for the body it showed a code and he said this could mean the OTHER computer has a problem!! what the heck?! what is the other computer and what does it do, he mentioned the jeeps have 2??? I never knew this...I just want to be informed before I spend another $1000 and still end up with a herbie car...

oh and I almost forgot, May 2008 all 4 tires were replaced at a shop. Afterwards, the jeep started making a noise that seems to travel alongside the front of the car. My dad replaced the break pads at home as well as replaced whatever holds them I think because the parts were bent(?) but the car continued to make that noise to a much lesser degree and much less frequently, now it would not do it on the fwy. Before this stalling phase I would mostly drive fwy or fast streets so with the radio I wouldn't even hear the noise...horrible bandaid to the problem :(! but after reading throught this thread I noticed a post about a tire hitting some computer connections or something? could someone clarify? Could this possibly be what is happening to my car???????

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ANYONE THAT READS THIS AND REPLIES... I greatly appreaciate your time and help..I am a broke graduate student who can tell you about cells in the body but does not know crap about this..i wished I had studied mechanic or electric engineering or something...ugh...but yeah thank you!

p.s if for some reason my mechanic reads this and the story seems familiar, just goes to show how frustrated and broke I am, not trying to completely second guess your work, just trying to help the process and solve this issue!!