Erratic Cursor when using touchpad

by Beelzy69 - 1/10/09 12:56 PM

In Reply to: Erratic Cursor when using touchpad by huntlp

I have this same problem with my Inspiron 1525. The touchpad response is erratic. Sometimes it will not respond at all to finger movement. Sometimes it gets stuck 'on' (as indicated by the tray icon) when its not being touched at all. But the biggest problem is with its inconsistent behavior when moving. When moving my finger carefully in a straight line horizontally across the touchpad, the pointer moves vertically in two spots (near the middle of the touchpad). Likewise, when moving my finger carefully in a straight line *vertically* across the touchpad, the pointer moves *horizontally* in two spots (near the middle of the touchpad). Sometimes the pointer moves slowly, and sometimes it nearly leaps across the screen, no matter how I move my finger (as if the sensitivity is completely random).

In a recent online chat with Dell support, they had me upgrade the BIOS on the computer from A11 to A16, but that did not help. They also had me install Notebook System Software (NSS) but that made no difference either. I upgraded the driver to version 7.1.1500.2 but that also did not help. I am convinced this is a hardware issue, perhaps related to ElectroMagnetic Interfence (EMI) (and static electricity or issues with the AC adapters would certainly exacerbate it). For me, the problems exist with or without the AC adapter plugged in. Regardless, my AC adapter is Rev A01.