You should, because it is true...

by Skyhawk007 - 8/11/07 1:25 PM

In Reply to: i dont believe you ! by eeee

The Honda Civic VX was designed to get great gas mileage, because it ran with highly efficient and super fuel saving engine called the Vtec-E engine. Honda designed this engine to get great mileage for the Civic VX and Civic HX cars in the 1990's.
The engine used efficient design strategies to use only three cylinders under 2,000 rpm. When called for, the engine could use the fourth cylinder when engine rpm rose above that- when passing another car, or for climbing a hill.
The engine was far superior to the one used by the Suzuki Swift and the Chevrolet Sprint, which both only used three cylinders in their engine design.
The Civic VX and HX both had 4 cylinders to their disposal, but needed only three when under 2,000 rpm.
That idea allowed for greater fuel efficiency, and that in turn created high mpg capabilities for those cars.
In fact, the EPA mileage estimates that were posted on the window sticker was 49/55 mpg, and they were right one about that.
My car got better than this mileage, and the 72 mpg was proof of that.
I went from Portland, Oregon to just outside of Sacramento, Cal on just 7.2 gallons of gas. If you do the math, you will see just how great and accurate those figures are.
Overall, I went from Portland to Magic Mountain and back on less than 4 full tanks of gas. The fuel tank capacity of the VX was only 10 gallons, so going that far on less than that was no surprise at all.
That is extremely impressive as compared to other cars that can't possibly compare today that are non-hybrid.
In my opinion, Honda is extremely foolish for abandoning this technology in favor of the more expensive and less fuel efficient hybrid engine that they use today. What happens when the lithium battery needs to be replaced in 5 or so years?
Those batteries are extremely expensive, and the customer will have to eat those costs as well. I have heard that those batteries could cost as much as $5,000 dollars to replace!
People are so very foolish to buy those hybrids, because they simply won't save any money in the end. When you see how many of these cars are now in used car lots, then you can see and surmise that their owners are now just starting to figure this sad fact out.
When you have to spend more than $8,000 dollars to buy an expensive hybrid, as opposed to a similar non-hybrid model of the same class, you can see the simple economics of it all. It will take more than 2 decades to recoup those additional costs, and that is not taking into account of the battery replacement costs, either.

I went a total of almost 2300 miles round trip, and got an average of 72 miles per gallon with my Civic VX in 1994.
There is not any hybrid made today that can come close to that, with the only possible exception being the Honda Insight, which is only a small and cramped two seat vehicle, which has no backseat luggage area, either.

As was my intention when I started this thread, which was then hijacked by those who only wanted to spout their ultra-right wing mentalities, I wanted to show and demonstrate that high fuel efficient vehicles ARE possible to have with already existing technologies right now. Additionally, it is not necessary for the car makers here or abroad to build very expensive hybrids that will not and cannot save people money in the short or long runs. These vehicles are too expensive to own and to maintain, yet people are continually suckered into buying them with the false hope of saving them money. The sad truth is, they don't save any money now, nor will they in the future.
If those sorry fools who buy the hybrids only do the basic math necessary, they will then see for themselves that saving a dollar, while spending twenty at the same time, is no bargain at all.
It is the same concept as the old axiom of penny-wise, pound foolish.