CLEAR PAGE-FILE AT SHUTDOWN IS SLOWING YOUR MACHINE....

by snadge - 4/26/06 2:52 AM

In Reply to: Slow Shut Down by Elvis_1967

Hya, Your Laptop sounds like it is set to 'Clear page-file' at shutdown
(the page-file is a file about 750MB in size that keeps all your files and programs that you use occasionally for faster program start-up and file location)
XP can be set to clear this at shutdown which can take some time (and also slow down your Laptops overall performance when using programs and files in windows as once its been cleared the Computer has to retrieve your file/program from its original location)
I use Tweak XP to disable this but you can do it manually but involves using Regedit, if you are unfamiliar with the registry then dont change any other settings than this one....
[Start] [Run] [Regedit] GOTO

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

in the list you will see ClearPageFileAtShutdown, if the value is 1 then its active, if its 0 then its not and the problem lie's elsewhere
if its active you can double-click on it and change the value and then close and reboot (note that it might not come into effect until you have rebooted so the 1st reboot might still be slow but after that1 it should be ok)....

Please let me know if it sorted it out as i can fix it for you if this didnt work (process of elimination)

paulbartley30@hotmail.co.uk