Here is what I'm communicating now with Canon.

by kky1230 - 2/7/06 9:04 AM

In Reply to: Optura 20 Stuck in Low Light Setting by ginzburga

Todd,

When I had this problem, I thought I might have broken something.
But, after I searched web, I was surprised that I could find many other people having same problem.
Here are some links you may need to take a look.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-48160.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7594-0.html?forumID=59&threadID=150053&messageID=1671467

This problem happens with no mis-handling. (I cared the camcorder very carefully.) And if this happens only on Optura 20, there must be something. (I didn't see any report of this problem in other models.) As some people mentioned, $170 ~ $250 for this fix is too much.
We paid $1000~$800 for this camcorder couple of years ago, and you can buy miniDV Camcorder less than $300 these days.

I look forward reasonable solution than just contact service center and pay $170.
I think it is reasonable for Canon to fix this problem with no charge regardless of warrenty.
We didn't break this camcorder, it's a defect of your product.
And many of us missed important moments because of this defect.

Good news is, there was a case reported by Nick Brilleaux, his camcorder was fixed by your service center.
Please work with your people and give us better solution.

Thanks.

KY Kim

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 5:57 AM
To: KY Kim
Subject: Re: Response from Canon - WSSS Web Escalation (KMM5492708V34195L0KM)

Dear Kyung Kim:

Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are sorry to learn of any issues you are experiencing with the image on the Optura 20.

Unfortunately, if the issue continues the unit will require testing internally.

There are two Canon Factories that service this unit.

Factory information is:

Canon Factory Service Center
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ. 08831
Telephone Number: (732) 521-7007

or

Canon Factory Service Center
15955 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA. 92618
Telephone Number: (949) 753-4200

If the product is still within the warranty period, a copy of a valid Proof-of-Purchase (Sales Receipt) will be required for warranty repairs.
Check your product warranty card for specific information.
We suggest that the camcorder be forwarded, properly packaged and insured with a letter describing the difficulties (including your name, address and telephone number). Your equipment will be examined and you will be advised of the findings.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Todd
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email, you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this message and we will respond as quickly as possible.