Old File to New Computer

by limpinghawk - 1/18/06 5:18 PM

In Reply to: Miguel K's winning answer by Lee Koo (ADMIN) Moderator CNET staff

Ben: Miguel K suggestion is good but i never done it that way and it seems to be more of a hassle. What i do is make sure the power is unplugged from your old computer, open the case up and ground yourself (skin to case or frame and remove the hard drive. Now look at your hard drive pin settings and reset them as a slave drive. On your new computer (power unpluged) ground yourself (skin to frame or case) and plug your old hard drive to the seconary HD flat ribbons. It does'nt matter which way your old HD lays as long as it does'nt touch anything on the bottom of your HD circuit board. Now fire up your new computer and Windows will tell you there is a new hardwear. Go to my computer click on (and you will see a second hard drive) This only works with Windows XP and Win Pro 2000. Click on your old HD and check and see all of your files you want to save is there. Then you need to make sure your files are altogether if not place them in a file to be zipped or transfered to your new computer. I on the other hand do'nt do this if the HD is bigger than 10 Gs. I use it as the secondary, as a back up drive and let it set until i feel like transfering to the new hard drive. On my secondary i keep my photos and games as not to share so it frees up my main HD for other applications because these new games take up alot of space Movies do to. The bigger the main HD the more files get fragmented and the longer it takes scan for virus and defrag. Windows XP does'nt care if you have a different OS or Windows or FAT 32 it still worked for me. Try it you can always go back and do what Miguel K. suggested. But keep in mined about the size of your secondary to keep as a back up or format and get rid of it with old unit. Have a good day and welcome to this great wonderful site you'll learn quickly on alot things you can do with Window XP and alot of Antivirus Software on this site. Just make sure you have at least 3 or 4 Antivirus software to back each other up.