Other recommendations from our members

Answer:

Dear Ben,

Congratulations on your new machine! There are many ways to transfer a large amount of information from one computer to another. You can buy a large USB memory drive (a one gig drive costs about $60 on sale) and simple copy the necessary files and paste them into your new computer. Nero has a particularly easy data backup feature. If you have a CD burner or DVD burner on your old machine, you can burn CDs or DVDs containing the data and transfer it to the new computer. If the old machine has a 10/100 (Ethernet) port, you can also hook up an Ethernet line directly and transfer data over the line. This is done by going through the network manager in XP, and accessing the files on your old computer through the network. XP should automatically detect the new computer upon booting. There are backup software on the market that automatically backup files, you can back up to a CD drive and transfer the CD to your new computer. You can get a trial copy of r-drive at http://www.drive-image.com/. If all else fails, take out the hard drive and plug it into your new computer as a slave.

Before you do this, make sure your computer is unplugged! you can follow the steps found at http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/magnetic_drives/magnetic_drives.htm with some modifications. First, you have to make sure that the jumpers are at the correct settings. The correct settings are either printed on the hard drive or can be found at the manufacturer's website. The drive from your old computer should be set to slave. Make sure that the IDE ribbon you use is the same one that is connected to the hard drive on your new computer, and not the one connected to the CD (optical) drives. You do not need to screw in the hard drive in your new computer, since this will be temporary and you will need to replace it in your old computer if you want to continue using it. This way you can directly copy all the files you need from your old computer to your new computer.

Good luck!

Submitted by: Sandeep V.

Answer:

Ben,

You didn't say what operating system your old machine was running, but there are several methods you can use to transfer your files and data from your old machine to your new one.

The easiest and most painless method may be to call a local PC Technician to come to your home to do the transfer for you using equipment and tools that most technicians will have in their bag of tricks. The charge for this service shouldn't exceed 2 hours of labor, unless you have the technician perform other tasks while he or she is there, such as helping you make sure your new machine is properly set up and has all the safety and security settings to make your internet experience with the new XP machine as safe, secure and painless as possible.

If you want to try it yourself, and If your new machine came with a Windows XP CD (or if you can borrow one), you can use the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard to transfer files. To use this method, the two machines must either be connected by use of a USB or Ethernet Crossover cable, Parallel Transfer Cable or your old machine must have the ability to write a CD, or a USB port into which you can plug an external hard drive or memory stick. Unfortunately, the 1.44Mb capacity of floppy disks will not be sufficient to hold all the data you are going to want to transfer.

An alternate method might be to purchase a commercial software package, such as Alohabob PC Relocator http://www.alohabob.com/products/pc_relocator/index.asp The retail boxed version (available in many PC stores) comes with a parallel transfer cable and complete instructions on use. There are other similar software packages available, Iolo's System Mechanic Mobile Toolkit, and Laplink's PC Mover.

Other methods include removing the hard drive from your old machine and putting into your new machine as a secondary drive; however, this method may be a bit beyond your ability as it requires a knowledge of where files are located on each machine and which ones are safe to transfer without rendering your new XP machine unstable or worse, useless. This method also will not allow you to transfer registry settings relating to your user preferences.

In general, if your old machine was running an earlier version of Windows, such as Windows 98 or Millennium Edition, you may find that some of the software you had installed on the old machine is a different version than ones designed to work under Windows XP. The same goes for hardware drivers for devices such as scanners, printers, web cameras and so on. In most cases, Windows XP will either automatically recognize the device, or an XP-compatible driver can be downloaded from the manufacturers site. These are things a PC Technician can assist you with.

One additional note of caution from my own experience: Resist the temptation to transfer everything. What you have right now with your new XP machine is a new, clean installation. A mass migration of every piece of software, and every setting increases your risk of rendering your new machine slower, or even unstable. Only transfer items you need and use frequently. Email settings, address book, documents, pictures, music files, and favorites are all safe to transfer, although in the case of email, you may want to log on to your old machine and clean out old, junk or obsolete messages before you transfer these to your new machine.

Good luck and happy computing!

Submitted by: James S.

Answer:

Hi Ben -- good question!

There are basically two ways to migrate to your new PC -- manual and automatic. The manual method, though tedious, can often prove the most trouble free. If you have access to a network, you can migrate date files via the old fashioned cut and paste method.

There are several automatic migration tools out there. When I migrated from my Dell 8100 to the Dell 700m, I used a program called Intellimover (http://www.detto.com/Intellimover/). This package contains an easy to use interface that will guide you to/from your old PC. It even includes a special USB transfer adapter. The package gives you very precise reports on what was moved and allows you to "undo" anything that causes problems on new PC.

Remember one thing! You are really migrating ONLY your data files and preferences. Software programs should always be freshly installed on new PC as they bore down into the guts of your operating system. Simply copying the Directories will not include necessary registry files, DLLs, etc.

Hope this helps!

Submitted by: KevlarHeart

Answer:

Question on moving files from one computer to another. There is a simple inexpensive device available at http://www.MoveItOnOver.com. Check it out.

Submitted by: vansantb

Answer:

When I set up a new computer, I set an alternate email account with my ISP, zipped the files and sent them to the new email account as an attachment. Logged on to the other account with the new PC, unzipped them and saved them where they needed to be.

Submitted by: Joe B.

Answer:

There are many programs to transfer programs/files from one computer to another. The one I have personally used is PC Relocator. It comes with all the necessary USB cords, setup disc and directions.

Submitted by: Chuck T.

Answer:

I used a program called Lab Link. You attach cables to both computers and then use the program to transfer your files and programs. I even transferred my favorites for Internet Explorer. I got the program from Best Buy.

Submitted by: Joan M.

Answer:

If you really want to transfer all of your stuff, PC Relocator is the easiest way to go. The basic version is about $30 and it includes a parallel cable to connect the PCs. There is a deluxe version which gives you more choice in what you transfer as well as some added capabilities. But that version is around $70. For something you're not going to be doing very often, I think the $30 investment is wise.

Easy PC Transfer is another package for about $40. That one comes with an ethernet cable for high speed transfer. So, you want to be sure that both your old and new PCs have ethernet ports. You can get a trial download of this program at stompsoft.com.

I'm not aware of any freeware programs that do the whole shot, although there may be some out there. If not, the $30 or $40 you'll spend is not too bad for the amount of time you'll save.

If you try to do it manually, you will need to install all of your software on your new PC and then copy your user files in whatever way you have available - floppy, CD, flash drive, etc. You will also need to find out exactly how to copy things like your address book, internet favorites, and other preferences and settings. Of course, it can be done, but what's your time worth?

Submitted by: John C.

Answer:

I assume your old machine doesn't have a CD burner so let me tell you a couple of methods I've used.

There is a program called "Fast PC Linker III" that you can download from pcworld.com. You need to install this program on both computers and then you need to buy or build a "lap link cable" which is connected to the printer ports. This program will work on Windows 95 on up.

There is also another PC Link program that you can buy that uses the USB ports if your old machine has one of those. This cost about $30 and includes a driver disk and the special cable.

Of course, keep in mind, some programs have to be reloaded from there original install disk.

Hope this helps.

Submitted by: D. J. H.

Answer:

Western Digital Lifeguard for Windows will do the job. It is a free download! It can either move your whole drive, operating system and all or just folders and files. It done without much input needed from the user other than what he/she wants moved. The job is actually a copy and your data is retained in the old drive if that is the task you are attempting.

Regards.

Submitted by: Richard M.

Answer:

As for moving programs, I prefer to install from scratch on a new system. I consider it "cleaner" and am more comfortable with compatibility, etc.

As for files, I wanted to move files from an old to new laptop and found the quickest and easiest way was to simply e-mail files (from the old computer) to myself as attachments, then open and download on the new computer. I lost nothing and it was a relatively quick procedure.

Enjoy the new computer!

Submitted by: Ann N. of Omaha, NE

Answer:

Good Question! I go through so many computers, I have it down to a science. You should do the following:

1. Go to http://www.7-zip.org.
2. Click on Download on the Sidebar.
3. Click on the first Download Link. The Size should be 821 KB.
4. Choose a mirror (Ive used easynews from Phoenix, AZ and it works
fine) and Click on one of the Download Links on the Right.
5. Install 7-Zip
6. Open My Computer
7. Right-Click on the Folder you need to compress and Choose Add to
archive...
8. Click OK
9. Go to http://www.yousendit.com/
10. Enter your e-mail address in the Recipient e-mail address(es)
field.
11. Click Browse... next to Select file to send (up to 1GB)
12. Find the Folder you need to send. In the folder that contains
that folder there will be a file titled with the Name of the
Folder and .zip or .7z. Open this file. This is the file you
created in Step 7.
13. Under type of file, pick something, it doesnt matter.
14. Click Send It
15. In your e-mail there will be an e-mail from YouSendIt This
e-mail will contain a link to the .zip or .7z file. You will
need to click on this link and download the file from the
Internet.

Submitted by: Daniel K. of Basking Ridge, NJ