Display panel does not get dimmer

by timelineowner - 4/1/12 6:39 PM

Hi all,

I have a 3-month-old Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830T running Windows 7. One day, the LCD backlight went dead, so I sent it to the repair center in Texas where they replaced the backlight, updated the BIOS, and sent the laptop back. However, now, when I slide the brightness bar to the left or right (either through use of the Fn+left/right arrows or the control panel), the display panel does not get any dimmer. I think right now it's stuck at the highest brightness. I called technical support and followed their instructions to reset the battery (by putting a staple into the battery reset slot on the bottom of the laptop for 5 seconds) and to uninstall/reinstall the display driver, but neither of those made any difference. Now they want me to restore my laptop to factory settings and thus wipe all of my data and settings in an effort to get the display panel to work again. However, that's a bit drastic for me right now, so I was wondering: does anyone have any other troubleshooting suggestions, or do you guys recommend I bite the bullet as well?

Many thanks in advance.