My 51" Plasma cracked, can you help?

by ozinusa - 5/4/12 9:22 AM

November 2011 we bought a new Samsung PN51D440A Plasma TV for an early Christmas present and absolutely loved the TV. A couple of weeks ago my daughter and I were watching a video with no problems, I turned the TV off and left the house to pick up my other daughter. An hour later we returned and I pick up the remote to turn on the TV.....nothing....not even sound. After 10 minutes or so the sound magically comes on! Hmmm, weird. So, I got online and went through the Samsung website chat to get some troubleshooting advice. After no resolution they gave me ticket #4114484339 and said they would send a technician to the house. After studying the TV closely we noticed a small spider web/starlight crack internally on the lower middle left of the screen. (found another with same exact location crack from someone else with a PN51D490 TV, here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B004MKNQHS/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2. (He has ticket #5103152097 from 3/29/2012). Anway, the tech came out, took 2 quick pictures with his cell phone and was about to leave when I asked him to at least remove the back panel for us to inspect for any potential damage. (I am an electronics engineer so I felt qualified to at least take a look) I saw no obvious damage but noticed on the back side of the crack there is a circuit board with quite a large ic chip on it. The tech said he didn't know much about plasma TV's and screwed the rear panel back on. I asked the tech what he thought about the damage and he stated that the cracks appear to be on the INSIDE. I asked for a copy of the report and he said he wasn't authorized to give a copy or even write anything regarding his opinion on this report ticket!?!? An hour later, the technician's boss calls me asking ME to submit some pictures to him as the 2 pics his tech took were too blurry. I obliged. Today, 04/30/12 (original ticket submitted on 04/12/2012) I received a phone call from Samsung customer service stating there was physical damage and the claim is denied and warranty voided. Whaaattt?!!! I asked for the ticket to be escalated to the next department as the "panel review team" was obviously incorrect in it's assessment because I wasn't even home during the time this "crack" magically appeared. They transfer me to the Executive CS dept and I am again told the same thing and that the decision cannot be overturned. This is OUTRAGEOUS since; 1. there is no impact point either on the outer screen/film, not even a scratch; 2. there is no impact point in the center of the starlight crack (which would obviously be a small roundish dent from whatever so-called object hit the TV); 3. the screen would have cracked all the way across had there have been any sort of impact and not stopped at 2-3 inches in diameter; 4. the SOUND would not have been affected, and; 5. It happened while no one was even in the house.

I am very disappointed is this decision and wonder if the representative on this site might assist in having a manager review this further. I have the original 3 pictures I submitted to the technicians and also numerous more. I took pictures as close a an inch away from the screen and you can obviously see the cracks on the inner screen but not the outer, no impact point, and moreover some of the cracks haven't even made it to the surface. How do I know if the "panel review team" even received the correct photos and not pictures of someone else's TV. Can someone confirm what pictures were received? Could you please help because I am "beside myself" upset with this matter.