Installling SATA Drivers on a DV6000

by Marlon C DaCosta - 7/18/07 10:39 AM

In Reply to: Did You Install The SATA Drivers? by Grif Thomas Moderator

Grif,
Your suggestions were helpful but I figured it out on my own.
I have two DV6000 laptops.
On one I used an nlited version with the SATA Drivers installed in the OS.
The otherI had a XPSP1 & SP2 Download. I used the F6 Method
Both methods work. Both methods got me similar results before installing SATA Drivers.
The Nlited version would not load SATA Drives and I had to post reinstall the SATA Drivers as described below.
Everything is fine.

MRGCAV@hotmail.com

All the XP drivers everyone needs are on the HP website. Go to HP.com abn type in your model.
The DV6000 has drivers for Vista and XP listed. Download these too.
You need to download them all.
Rename each of them > FileName - SP# setup.exe .
Then use winrar to unpack each driver to a folder called "unpacked drivers"
The quickplay, sound and SATA drivers are the hardest to install.
Download and install the latest version of service pack 2. You must use SP2 or it will not load the drivers.
Install SATA Drivers first.
Install quick play last.

Steps to modify a existing Windows XP image to support SATA Native Mode after OX is installed
On a HP DV 6000, 8000 & 9000 Series The drivers do not install properly. The order you install them in is important. You may even have to install them during the OS installation and again after the OS is installed.
To Install any pre-vista OS on these series of Laptops; you MUST disable the Native SATA mode, in the bios.
Then install the OS (using the F6 SATA Driver Floppy method which is preferred or This Post SATA installation method). Then immediately reboot and enable the Native SATA mode, in the bios.

Do not install any other non Intel or non SATA Drivers until the Native SATA mode is enabled, in the bios.

1) Insert Windows XP CD & Enter the F10 setup. Go and go to System Configuration/Device Configuration
Disable the : Native SATA Native Mode. Press F10, Save then exit.

2) Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 in a typical manner for your organization.

3) Download the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver, SoftPaq SP32478.exe, from www.hp.com

4) Extract all the files from the SoftPaq.SP32478.exe
Method #1: A USB floppy is necessary for this step. Connect a USB Floppy and insert a Blank Floppy
Run SP32478; this will create a floppy disk with the eight files needed.
Method #2: Using Winrar and Universal Extractor v1.5, completely unpack SP32478.exe to al location on your hard drive or USB Flash Drive. Preferably a blank partition and not the C: drive.

5) These eight files should be where ever you decided to unpack them. Check Now.
a. iaahci.cat
b. iaahci.inf
c. iastor.cat
d. iastor.inf
e. iastor.sys
f. license.txt
g. readme.txt
h. txtsetup.oem
6) Create a restore point. Then download and run the Intel Chipset Installation Utility for ICH7 SoftPaq SP32781.exe, from www.hp.com
Note where these files are installed. Go into that folder and delete the Win2000 & Win2003 folders. You also may delete any useless languages from the Lang subfolder.

7) In Device Manager, Under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Right Click the; Intel 82801 GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers 27DF and select "Update Driver".

8) Follow these steps to complete the Hardware Update Wizard:
a. At the first dialog, select "No, not this time" when prompted to connect to Windows Update.
b. At the next dialog, select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".
c. At the next dialog, select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install".
d. When prompted to select the device driver you want to install for this hardware, do not choose anything but instead, click the "Have Disk" button.
e. Browse to the location where you stored your eight unpacked sp32478 files (in step 4) and click OK.
f. When prompted to select the device driver you want to install for this hardware, select the Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
g. A warning that Windows cannot verify that the device is compatible with your hardware will appear. When asked if you want to continue installing the driver, select Yes. This is a Good warning , it means you are doing this procedure correctly.
h. The SATA driver installation will complete.

9) Shut down Windows and restart the computer.

10) Enter the F10 setup. Go and go to System Configuration/Device Configuration
Enable the : Native SATA Native Mode. Press F10, Save then exit. Restart Computer

11) After Windows restarts, the additional SATA components will be updated. A System Settings Change may appear. If asked "Do you want to restart your computer now?" click Yes.

12) When Windows restarts, the SATA AHCI drivers will be completely & correctly installed.

13) Check Device manager. View > Show Hidden Devices. No yellow check marks should be present. Ignore or uninstall: a yellow exclamation point Under Non-Plug & Play Drivers on Parport and on Serial. They Do not exist on this model.

14) Create a restore point now and before each new driver is installed.

Now you now can reinstall any missing drivers in the device manager and get your windows updates. If windows does not want to update. Reinstall Service pack 2.
Sound drivers require; MS Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for HD Audio sp32646 BEFORE you can install Conexant Drivers.
HP Quick Launch Buttons sp33258 appear in Two places in the device manager. Both under HID (Human Interface Devices and under keyboards.
Do not install: Media player 11 on XP, or the Nvidia 7400 video drivers from Microsoft website.
When all drivers are installed, follow up with Windows updates from the website.
The Microsoft Conextant driver on the update site is the same driver on the HP XP dV60000 webpage.

NOTE: Some hacked XP OS will not allow you to install the SATA driver, unless you install SP2 first. Installing SP2 on a hacked version may cause it to revert to a standard Windows XP looking install. HP Drivers probably will not work with hacked XP installs.

See attachment NC6820 and contact me if you have any more problems.
Please post both the attachments on the website.