BitBlocker offered extremely good copy protection.

10 years ago I developed a product that provided extremely good protection of copyrighted images and videos.

The idea was simple. Media protection is provided by a two-pronged approach. The first thing BitBlocker does is encrypt the media (the copyright holder does this before making the media available). Only an authorized program (or plug-in) could decrypt the media. This mechanism protects the image right up to the moment it is displayed on the screen. No need to reduce resolution, no need to watermark (although you should still have a copyright notice displayed).

Another component of BitBlocker is installed on the machine attempting to render the media (e.g. when an ActiveX control is installed). This component resides at the OS device driver level. Any attempt to copy bits from the surface of the display are routed through the BitBlocker device driver layer and those regions of the screen displaying the protected media are redacted. This works no matter what is attempting to copy data from the screen: a screen copy program, the O.S. functionality behind the Print Screen button, the program that is displaying the image (like I.E), ... anything.

The technology is patented. I was never able to get enough interest in the technology to warrant marketing it. From time to time, I would see similar products introduced in the market place that I felt may be infringing. Each of them too as fallen by the wayside.

My conclusion: people say they want to protect their copyrights, but nobody is truly willing to pay for the technology to do so.