Cell phones forum: ATT + Cingular Merger Problem 4 Replacing Phone

by: sylvanr January 29, 2005 2:33 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

ATT + Cingular Merger Problem 4 Replacing Phone

by sylvanr - 1/29/05 2:33 AM

We had two phones on a family plan with AT&T and one of them got wet and wouldn't work. When I went to buy another phone at the AT&T store, it had been changed to a Cingular store and they told me that the phones they had were not compatable with my AT&T plan and that I would have to "upgrade" to a Cingular account and have to replace BOTH phones AND sign up for a Cingular account that would apparently give me LESS minutes for MORE money! I was incredulous. I was ready to go to another carrier but then was told it would cost me $175.00 to get out of my contract that I had with AT&T and which apparently now made me obligated to Cingular until December. My contract was with AT&T - NOT Cingular wireless.

All I want to do is replace my dead cell phone with something that will get me through until December when my contract expires and I can change carriers without paying a big penaly. I see there are a few phones on EBay that are the same AT&T phone that I had. I also see other AT&T phones there. I discovered that I could take my sim card out of the dead phone I have and put it in the working one which is an entirely different brand and could make calls. So could I expect to be able to pretty much put the GSM sim chip in ANY AT&T compatable phone? Why can't I put it in the new Cingular compatable phones? I read something about phones being locked and software to unlock them? Could somebody explain all this to me and offer suggestions? Are there places other than EBay that I can find replacement phones? I can't believe that there was some sudden rapture in which all the AT&T compatable cell phones have suddenly dissapeared from the earth just because ATT merged with Cingular. HELP! Where are all the leftover ATT phones or refurbished or used?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close