Cell phones forum: Should I Get Android or Windows Phone 8?

by: rmintzes August 16, 2012 10:01 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Should I Get Android or Windows Phone 8?

by rmintzes - 8/16/12 10:01 AM

I suppose this can qualify as general discussion as well, but it's been nagging at me for a while and I figured I'd air it out here in the technosphere. Forgive the length of this, but I have a lot of thoughts that factor into this question.

I currently have an iPhone 4, which by all accounts has served me well over the last year and a half. I will soon be coming due for an upgrade, and I feel the iOS interface has become a little stale for my tastes (full disclosure: I also have an iPad 2, but I don't plan on replacing that anytime soon).

With this in mind, I've reached a dilemma: for my next phone, should I go with something running Android, or should I go to Windows Phone 8?

My history with technology is mixed. I'm not a developer, but I guess one could categorize me as an "advanced consumer." I can move back and forth pretty seamlessly between Mac OS X and Windows (I was a Mac devotee until I entered the architecture profession, which has a much stronger Windows base), and I know how to manipulate each of the big 3 mobile operating systems. Learning curve has no bearing on this decision, as I will hunker down and learn what I have to, provided I know I made the right choice for myself.

I like the fact that Android is open source, and think the Holo interface of ICS is gorgeous (I'm not really one for the UI skins made by some of the manufacturers), but I know of many people complaining about the fact that the operating system updates don't roll out on a unified schedule. My dad and brother had the LG Ally and spent a long time wondering if they were ever going to get Android FroYo (they eventually got iPhones). At least I know that Windows Phone would have a coordinated update, since it's not open source. As someone in a design field, I'm pretty much in love with the Windows Phone/Windows 8 interface (I'm not saying that all designers automatically love it, but I personally do because of my own background). It's simple, crisp, and clean. I love the emphasis on typography and icons, and the live tiles look very useful. I've grown tired of glossy and faux-3D effects.

My concern has more to do with general apps and how I organize my life. I have pretty much everything on Google: G-Mail, Google Drive/Docs, Calendar, Google Play Music. It's my go-to for search and for maps, and I haven't ventured too far beyond it except for using Bing on occasion. I feel that as Microsoft builds in more support, I'd be able to natively sync my Google data with the WP system (or can that be done already?). WP has the fewest apps out there designed by Google, but that could change in the next 6 months and the necessary apps could be available. WP has Facebook (and I've heard very good things about social integration), and I can read my Kindle books on it, look on Yelp, and that's mainly it. Save for a few other apps, I think I use about 10-15% of the apps that I currently have on my iPhone, so having a smaller app base isn't necessarily a problem. The only game I ever really play anymore is Tetris, and if I feel the need to play any other game, I do so on my iPad. Furthermore, I also like the fact that WP8 and Windows 8 will be sharing the Windows NT core, considering that the next laptop I get will most likely be running Windows 8 (currently using a Windows 7 ThinkPad that I heavily used and abused in architecture school). I imagine the phone and computer would be able to sync together nicely (one can hope).

So, forgive all the rambling, but as you can see I'm trying to ponder this more heavily than just the look of the operating system and social integration (thumbs up Windows) or just Google integration (thumbs up Android). Hardware specs don't mean as much to me for this decision (don't get me wrong...I like a powerful piece of hardware as much as the next person, but since I'm not in this for tons of video and games, and I don't take phone pictures besides the impromptu snapshot, it's not the guiding light here).

So...thoughts anyone?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved