Cell phones forum: TMo G1 probs, repair or replace? (within 3-5 days)

by: pianoplayer88key September 8, 2011 3:31 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

TMo G1 probs, repair or replace? (within 3-5 days)

by pianoplayer88key - 9/8/11 3:31 PM

Hi all. I've had a T-Mobile G1 since within a couple months after they were released. It's served me somewhat adequately over much of this time, but in the last year or so it's been showing its age and now it's hardly even usable.
Among other things, the camera quit working almost a year ago, and more recently the keyboard/trackball will sometimes do things when I'm not touching them, the speaker for listening to calls the traditional way doesn't work (speakerphone still does). Within the last couple weeks the battery life of the Seidio 2600 mAh extended battery I have in it has gone down the sewers - I'm lucky to get 5 minutes on it now. It'll shut off even when it shows around 80% charge, then when I turn it back on it shows below 15%. I've read some posts somewhere else about an issue with T-Mobile's network increasing battery usage, but I don't think that's the issue here.

I'm at a bit of a quandary on what to do now, and I need to resolve this by/before this coming Tuesday (the 13th). I have a few options I'm considering...
* Buy another battery for my current phone, also maybe open it up and try to repair or replace the camera and speaker; not sure what to do about the keyboard and trackball though
* Buy another phone, pop my SIM card in it and start using it. The only current 5-row QWERTY I find for GSM (T-Mobile) is the Sidekick 4G, but I'm reading mixed reviews on that model.
* Switch to Sprint and get an Epic 4G
* Switch to Verizon and get a Droid 3. (Only if there is a very good reason to do it, no features on my phone will be locked/blocked by Verizon, and it doesn't have a bloated UI on top of whatever Android has that saps resources.)
(I'm not aware of a 5-row Android QWERTY for AT&T.)

I would prefer to stick with a GSM carrier so I can easily move from one phone to another at will. Yesterday I timed it and it took me about 40 seconds (including some fumbling) to pull the SIM card out of my G1 and replace it. Can switching phones with a CDMA carrier be done at least that fast, even at, say, 1:30am PDT?

My current plan with T-Mobile is 500 minutes, unlimited messaging and unlimited data, for about $62-63 a month or so. On an active month I might use 15-20% of the minutes, and probably send/receive less than 100-150 texts. I use the data extensively a few hours a day, though. It's supposed to be the pre-cap unlimited grandfathered data, but I'm still having problems even streaming low-quality YouTube videos in real time, and I can't even load the HQ ones anymore. Also the $62-63/month is stretching it for me, but so far I'm barely managing.
Is there a way I can streamline my plan to get what I need at a better price? If I could get $10-$20 knocked off the monthly price, that would be really nice. Or, should I just stick with what I have now?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved