Car Tech forum: Modding '00 V6 Mustang (Manual trans.)

by: W-Unit March 24, 2008 3:36 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Modding '00 V6 Mustang (Manual trans.)

by W-Unit - 3/24/08 3:36 PM

Alright, so my goal for this summer is to have my V6 5-speed manual transmission 2000 Mustang able to compete and hopefully beat a stock '99-'04 Mustang GT.
I've already started with minor upgrades like a cool air intake and high-flow air filter. I've also replaced the stock hood and side scoops with real scoops (the stock scoops are filled in and do not actually do anything performance-wise).
Now for my next upgrade, I'm thinking of a cat-back exhaust system, because the rule of thumb seems to be to get good intake and exhaust systems before anything else. So my first question is: what kind of exhaust system should I get? And is cat-back sufficient for the amount of modding I want to do, or do I need to upgrade the whole exhaust system?
After this, I'd like to get a short-throw shift kit. But let me know if you think that there are other things I should get first or that are more important.
After this, I think the most important matter is to push back the "Redline" (for lack of a better term). Stock V6 Mustangs have the red line on the tachometer drawn at about 5600-5700 RPM. This *needs* to be quite a bit higher if I'm going to compete with V8 'stangs (I would hope for a 1000 RPM increase, but I would accept as little as 300-400). I assume that with this change, a modification to gear ratios would also be a good idea, since each gear now has a higher "range"? If so, how exactly do I go about changing gear ratios?
Then, it's all just about getting the most performance. So, if I still have money to spend after all of this, I was hoping to get a turbocharger. I've seen prices on turbos range from $200 for the turbo alone to $1400 for the turbo plus a plethora of parts whose function I didn't understand. So, how much money do you think is a good amount to plan to spend on a turbocharger, including labor (I'm assuming that's not something you can install yourself lol)?

Thanks a lot for any and all suggestions.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close