Car Tech forum: For HHR owners, questions!!

by: Ms.Gadgettes October 25, 2007 7:57 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

For HHR owners, questions!!

by Ms.Gadgettes - 10/25/07 7:57 PM

I'm considering buying an HHR as a first vehicle. I've loved it since it came out, I personally like the appearance though I know a lot of people don't. I recently test drove one, on back roads, nothing major, and loved the feel of it, for the short time I drove it. I really liked it compared to the Malibu Maxx I've been learning on.

I plan to test drive it again to take a more in depth look at it and see more of what it has to offer, but won't be able to until this weekend. So, in the meantime, I've been reading reviews on it, and so far I've been a little concerned with what I have been reading. I was hoping to see if this is true with most of the HHR, common problems, etc.

I've not decided yet if I want to get the 2007 or the 2008, I've not looked into it enough yet to make a decision, the only thing I know at this point is that I like the blueish, purple color offered for both years. I do know I will at least get the LT model. I plan for uprades like running boards, leather seats, sun roof, chrome package, upgraded stereo, automatic transmission and things like that.

So here is what I have been reading:

HHR is not fast enough for highway driving- I don't really plan to do much highway driving, especially now, but may do it in the future... I read upgrading the engine helps, but not sure if it is enough to make a difference (I don't know much about cars)

No giddyup power to get onto highway and such.

When trying to accelerate the car tends to stall or stop, especially when getting onto the highway or something.

Does not handle turns and breaking well.

Poor gas mileage compared to what they estimate and for the size.

Cannot get through the snow- We can have some pretty bad winters, so the ability to get through at least a little snow is important.

Hydroplanes in the rain.

Dents very easy (one person said just from leaning on the car it dented. Others said every HHR they have ever looked at has a lot of tiny dents, which I have not noticed myself)

In the shop more than it isn't for repairs.

So overall these reviews were a dissapointing, if not scary. I love the car, but if it isn't a smart buy I guess I should be looking into something different... So I was hoping to get others reviews, or info that they have on the car.

I'm trying to buy locally to avoid having to go out of town to service. My only options are Chevy, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. Of my options, the HHR is by far my favorite, there are some others I like, but for a first car I think they would be too difficult to drive... So any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close