why bother about the profits ,be concerned over the cost
what cost you say? The cost in American jobs, namely those done by the hundreds of subcontractors that truely make American goods, AMERICAN. If you go to a car store and look at the content portion of the sticker, you might be surprised to learn that on several Ford products the domestic content indicates that a good portion of the car was made or sourced somewhere else. As one example, the current Mustang has just 65% local content. Put another way, Ford chose to make the other 35% from non-American parts and/or labor to construct the vehicle. That's about $7,000.00 of the average $20,000.00 retail cost of the car that went to jobs outside the U.S. That other money is much greater than the profit Ford makes per Mustang. In a worse example, the Fusion, and its siblings, the Mercury Milan and the Lincoln MKZ, are only 30% American content, with the 70% percent of the vehicle's parts and labor sourced in MEXICO! Imagine the number of American jobs that cost. On the other hand, a look at the Toyota Camry shows a %78 percent American content listed on its sticker, In fact, Toyota employs 368 AMERICAN subcontractors to their products here, that translates into thousands of employed people empowering them to afford to send their children to college, pay their mortgages on time, afford a second vehicle,in short, keep our economy strong by supporting local businesses with their take home pay, thanks to Toyota.Imagine how many more millions of paycheck dollars would fuel our economy if Ford sourced all its subcontractor parts and labor here instead of beyond our borders? Of course there will always be those who say: "but what about the profits?" I say why should you care about 2 to 6 percent of the purchase price leaving the country? You should be glad that 94 to 98 per cent stays here fueling our country's financial infrastructure. By the way, according to federal manufacturing guidlines, in order to classified as an American product, the finished goods should be of 75% local content, meaning that brand new Mustang,Fusion, Mercury Milan, or Lincoln MKZ you just bought or maybe own, is a FOREIGN car!
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)