PS3 HDTV Connection Problem (720p/1080i Sound Delay)
by Dutchens - 7/13/08 11:36 PM
I'll try to explain this little problem in the best way. Sorry for the length, but it should be easy to understand so hopefully someone can help me out.
- 250GB HDD (originally 40GB).
- Hooked up to 32" Sony Bravia KDL32M3000 (max: 1080i) with HDMI.
- PS3 display settings - 1080i: Works fine.
- PS3 display settings - 720p: Sound becomes delayed when playing a game.
You know how with some TVs when you start up a game the screen kinda blanks out and pops back alive really quick? I know that's normal...
When the display settings are set to 720p, the sound can become delayed after that. So after starting a game - and I mean any game (disc, PSN, even F@H), the sound goes out of sync, even after quitting and coming back to the XMB. Another odd thing is that the delay duration varies every time. The longest was almost a full second.
Display setting 1080i does not do that.
How I temporarily fix this;
While playing a game (being out of sync and all), I can change the channel on the TV and come right back to HDMI 1 (video channel I'm playing on) and the sound will be back in sync. So it seems like the delay is caused by the 'video source' change when starting or exiting a game.
Things I know;
- It's not the cable. I have tried different HDMI cables. Same problem with all.
- It's not the port on the TV. I tried this with my 360. Stays in sync.
- The PS3 itself? Maybe the 5400RPM 250GB HDD is too slow to keep up? (but then again, I can temporarily fix the issue...).
Remember, this only happens with 720p.