Home audio & video forum: Question about researching a HDTV

by: evol2121 December 3, 2006 1:15 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Question about researching a HDTV

by evol2121 - 12/3/06 1:15 PM

I've done some pretty extensive research in looking for a new TV. Obviously you can get some idea of picture quality in the stores, but really, its nothing like they're going to perform in your home.

I've done research on both plasma and lcd technologies. frankly it seems that they are pretty much equal depending on what you're using them for. I haven't gotten a straight up arrow pointing to either one from what i've read at least.

I've read plenty of articles and forum threads about the difference between 720/768p, 1080i, and 1080p both the accepting of and reproduction of the various sources.

Everytime i decide on one thing, i come across an article or forum thread that spells doom for it. be it flickering from an auto contrast issue, to black bands, and even random light and dark spots.

I'm hoping i can find some help here because you seem to know what you're talking about.

i haven't paid much attention to each company's fancy processing name they give ( perfect magic picture III...etc) but i have looked into the contrast ratio's, the color capacity (don't know the term, how many colors it can reproduce), and obviously resolution.

However through all of this i'm still at a stand still. I respect all of the in depth knowledge on this board, sometimes its even scary the detail that is gone through in the discussions (confusing me even more) but it is an encouraging confusion.

If you've read this far, i'd appreciate some help.

-I'm looking for a HDTV in the 42" + range.

-I'll be sitting ~10' away from the screen, but have seating areas to the left and right that will be closer, so viewing angle is somewhat important, but not top priority.

-I'll be viewing mainly SD (standard cable) for about 6 months until i upgrade to HDTV, but i am willing to suffer through the incompatibility as i will be getting HDTV and am buying the set for that purpose.

- I'm leaning towards LCD at this point, but barely. I don't really mind plasma or rear projection because size isn't really an issue (though if rear projection i'd rather it not be unreasonable in depth) i'm surprised how much more screen for your buck you get w/ rear projection, what are the downfalls if any?

- I'm buying this set because i'd like to establish credit as im 22 and feel its time to get started, but i'm really in the 1300-1700 dollar range.

- lastly i'm in no hurry to buy, if there is something that is worth waiting for coming out this next year, then i will do so.

any information would be greatly appreciated. i know you can't give me an end all answer, but maybe with the information i've given, you all could tell me what aspects of the tv would be most important in my situation, or maybe even specifications that i haven't even listed/read about.

thanks.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close