Home audio & video forum: Warning To Potential Electronics Expo Store Customers

by: x071907 November 30, 2005 10:54 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Warning To Potential Electronics Expo Store Customers

by x071907 - 11/30/05 10:54 AM

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WD 62725 TV from an Electronics Expo Store (actual name of store) in NJ. I plan on putting the TV in my renovated basement (renovation not yet complete). Since the basement renovation hasn't been completed I brought the TV home and set it up in my living room the day after it was purchased (Saturday). Since the TV wasn't going to be setup in the basement for several more weeks I wanted to test the TV to make sure everything was working ok. When I was reviewing the screen I noticed several dark spots on the TV screen (This was Sunday). The next day (Monday) I called the electronics expo to inform them of the problem. They had a service repairman come to my house to look at the TV (Wednesday afternoon). The service person told me that he couldn't take apart the TV because it wasn't on a stand and that the TV was still sitting in part of the original shipping carton. He did tell me that the likely cause of the problem was something (foreign material) on either the light engine or the DLP chip. He told me that he would have to completely disassemble the TV to diagnose the problem. Since he wasn't able to take apart the TV the repairman left my house. That same day (Wednesday night) we went to the Electronics Expo store and spoke with the store manager. We informed him that we wanted to exchange the television for a brand new one due to the problem. He said that he didn't have the authority to authorize an exchange and he would have to call his corporate office to authorize an exchange. We called the store several days later after we did not here back from the manager and when we called back he informed me that he wanted to have another service repairman come to the house to look at the TV again. We told him again that we didn't want the TV repaired since it required the repairman to completely dissemble the TV. We informed him that we were not paying full price for a TV that needed to be repaired from day 1 (out of the box). He told us that he couldn't authorize an exchange. I am still trying to resolve this issue with the store but I feel like we are just getting the run down from them.

The bottom line is - This Company is very shady to do business with. Do not purchase anything from the Electronics Expo if you think you are going to have problems with the items you purchase. I did find out that they had several complaints filed against them via the Better Business Bureau (see below). It's sad that it has to come to this but I am going to be filing my own complaint with the BBB in hopes of getting them to do the right thing and exchange the TV set for another TV (same model) that is in good working order.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau.

To have a Satisfactory Record with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them. I will never do business with them again and they lost out on future business from me for my other home theater purchases (Receiver, amp, speakers, etc...)

Closed Complaints
Number of complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's BBB file was opened in October of 2003: 7
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 5

Complaints Concerned
Advertising Issues: 1
Outcome of the complaint -
Resolved: 1

Delivery Issues: 2
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved: 2

Repair or Service Issues: 1
Company made every reasonable effort to Resolve: 1

Guarantee or Warranty Issues: 1
Resolved: 1

Refund or Exchange Issues: 2
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved: 1; Company made every reasonable effort to
Resolve: 1

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close